St. Mary’s School reopened Smedes Hall in September after closing it in mid-2006 for extensive renovations. It had apparently been partially closed for several years.
This Greek Revival style building is the multi-purpose centerpiece of an extensive attractive campus.
Built in the mid 1830’s, and known as Main Hall, it was originally part of the Episcopal school for boys. The Episcopal school failed a few years later.
St. Mary’s School, Raleigh’s oldest private educational school for girls, was founded and took over the Episcopal school campus in 1842. Main Hall was renamed Smedes Hall at that time to honor the first rector and president of St. Mary’s School, Reverend A. Smedes.
Smedes Hall is listed on the National Register of historic places and is a Raleigh Historic Site.